Internet Use and Computer Policy
Nature of the Internet The Internet is a global electronic network of information. The Internet and its resources may contain information that is inaccurate, controversial, or offensive. The Sibley Public Library has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content of the Internet. The Library provides Internet access as another resource for information and entertainment.
Access to the Internet The Sibley Public Library does not prevent access to any resources freely available on the Internet. Parents or guardians, not the Library or its staff, are responsible for the information selected and/or accessed by their children. The Library will not be responsible for enforcing any restrictions which a parent or guardian may place on a minor’s use of this resource.
All patrons using the library’s Internet-enabled computers must agree to the Internet User Agreement before use.
The library also provides internet access through an unsecured wireless network. Any information accessed or transmitted has the possibility of being intercepted by others without users’ knowledge. There is also a possibility data stored locally on a user’s device could be accessed by others if not properly secured. The library does not assume any responsibility for the safety of personal devices or the data on it. Virus and security protection is the sole responsibility of the wireless user.
Rules for Internet Access
- There is a limit of two patrons at a computer at any one time. The library staff reserves the right to terminate a person’s use of the computer if problems such as disruptive behavior, abuse of equipment, or hardware and software malfunction occur. The library is not responsible for damage to storage devices used in library computers.
- Users must comply with all local, state and federal laws while using the Internet. Users found to have violated any laws, including but not limited to those concerning privacy, obscenity, fraud or copyright, while using Library facilities or equipment will have their Internet privileges revoked.
- The library does not filter Internet content. Staff may, however, ask users to refrain from printing or displaying certain content on screens open to public sight in order to ensure the secure and comfortable environment of the Library.
- Users agree to abide by staff-developed procedures for advance reservations and sign-up for computer use. Computer use is limited to 60 minutes/day. An extension of this limitation may be waived if authorization is approved by a staff member. One computer may also be designated for short-term use only.
- Users may print to the networked public printer, at the cost that is posted near the printer. Patrons are responsible for the cost of all copies printed. There is no printing available from a wireless device.
- Computer use records are confidential and the library does not retain them. Users should log out at the end of their session to ensure privacy.
Loss of Internet Privileges Use of the Library’s Internet connection or computers in an illegal, disruptive, or destructive manner, or failure to abide by these policies or the Internet Use Agreement, may result in the loss of Internet or library privileges.
Related Library Policies: See also Library Conduct Policy and Safe Child Policy
Adopted: July 2, 2013
Amended: June 4, 2019
Reviewed: June 4, 2019
Reviewed: May 3, 2022
Scheduled for Review: May 2025